Immersive Technology: The 2024 outlook
Immersive technology continues to transform the way multiple industries can provide innovation, experience and education. The impact it has had is unquestionable. So, what does 2024 bring? New developments are surely set to surprise us.
As leaders in Immersive & Gaming recruitment, of course this is a subject that is close to our hearts. For our latest blog post, we decided to look at the current trends within VR, AR, MR and XR, while sharing some predictions from the industry.
Who are the current key players?
The key players in this industry are those who are constantly innovating to enhance the quality and accessibility of immersive tech. This global growth has seen companies competing to be the most stand-out driver of immersive capabilities. Here are a few who continue to make waves…
- Sony Interactive Entertainment: PlayStation VR continues to make waves. Not only has it provided fun viral moments (players reactions to ‘Resident Evil’ jumpscares are a particular highlight), but Sony continue to focus on creating high-quality VR experiences. With new releases and software, we can expect even more from Sony’s platform this year.
- Meta: The company’s flagship products include the Oculus VR headset, which allows users to experience immersive VR environments. We’ve all heard of the Metaverse by now…so, we will have our eyes on that in 2024!
- Microsoft: From the HoloLens to the Windows Mixed Reality platform, Microsoft has focused on both consumer and business use for their VR offerings.
- Magic Leap: A US-based tech company that produces a head-mounted virtual retinal display called Magic Leap One. This is a particular standout in the immersive technology world. The display overlays 3D computer-generated imagery on real-world objects using a digital light field.
- HTC: HTC developed the Vive VR headset, allowing users to experience immersive VR environments. They also established Viveport, a platform for discovering and downloading VR content.
- Google: Google has developed several VR and AR products, including the Google Cardboard and the Daydream VR headset. In 2024, the company continues to focus on developing immersive technologies that allow users to experience new and exciting virtual environments.
What is expected to drive the immersive technology market forward?
For an industry to grow, there will be key drivers which increases the need for this technology, therefore expanding accessibly, affordability and the industries who can see genuine benefit in immersive tech.
- Entertainment – more demand for immersive experiences: Gaming, movies, live events…the possibilities are endless. People want more from these experiences, meaning they need to be more engaging and immersive to capture new audiences.
- eCommerce and retail apps: Immersive technology is growing in the world on online retail. Customers want more assurance before buying a product. These applications offer virtual try-on tools, immersive shopping environments and a personalised experience.
- Training and education: Within the education sector, AR and VR are being widely adopted to create engaging and interactive learning. Companies can also use this for staff training, to really reinvent the staff training of old.
- Hardware and software advancements: There have been more advancements in hardware and software technology, particularly display and graphics processing units. As a result, these allow for more accessibility and affordability in the immersive technology space.
Growing trends in immersive technology
Are the possibilities endless? With companies working towards technology that caters to both consumers and businesses, we can expect to see many trends develop in the year ahead.
- Immersive retail: We have seen many brands embracing technology. In particular, augmented reality has allowed customers to virtually try on glasses or place potential furniture in their home. With user experience more important than ever, we can expect to see more mixed reality retail experiences emerging.
- Mixed reality: VR and AR are two distinct technologies…but what is their potential when this technology is brought together? The combination of immersive technology to create blended mixed-reality environments will become more common.
- Multi-sensory technology: Virtual reality has come a long way – but there is further to go. Seeing is believing, but the feeling of reaching out and touching the virtual world around you is the logical next step. Device manufacturers are working on enhanced tech, like haptic gloves, to welcome the sensations of touch and smell. This further immersion will definitely be a talking point in 2024.
- New strategies for online safety: Of course, with growing technology comes concern for online safety. We all know the internet is not always the safest of spaces. These concerns are not being ignored and will likely become a key part in marketing strategies for tech companies developing immersive experiences.
Your immersive recruitment partner
We are certainly excited to see what 2024 brings! For your business, is 2024 the year to hire new team members or find a new role? We’re here to help – click below to find the best gaming jobs or discover great gaming talent!